1 in 5 people over the age of 50 do not have children by choice or circumstance. By 2030 2 million people will be over the age of 65 without adult children and yet in all the many debates and discussions on ageing, it has been almost completely overlooked.
For all those who have never been able to have children, whose children have died or moved away, who never wanted children, who are estranged from their children…the question is
“Who will speak up for me and lend a hand when I can no longer cope on my own?”
Is the state the answer, charities, self-help?
Sign up to an AWOC group – Share ideas, take action, meet new people
We currently have groups in
- Leeds email email@example.com
- York call Sue or Ann on 01904 488870
- Brighton https://www.meetup.com/Brighton-Ageing-without-Children-AWOC/ – next meeting 13th September
- Dublin – there are plans to start a group in Dublin. If you are interested, please contact Mary Blake on 086 1037009 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Norfolk meets in Cafe Bar Marzano, Millennium Library the Forum, 2 Millennium Plain, Norwich NR2 1TF at 11am. more details can be found on the AWOC facebook group
We also have a closed face book group you can join here Facebook group