Dear Friends and Supporters,
It is with great sadness, that we have to tell you that we have failed to secure any funding to take AWOC as an organisation forward. We’ve spent over a year exploring many different promising avenues, and have invested thousands of hours of our time in doing so, but unfortunately we’ve come away with empty pockets!
Currently, the issue of ageing without children is mostly ignored by mainstream ageing thinking and practice. However, this is not an attitude that those us who are dealing with this issue personally have the luxury of taking. Each of knows that we have to pay attention and take action, both individually and at a collective level. This is human rights issue that the Western world is being stubborn in waking up to. It will; we will make sure of that.
AWOC has lots of creative and practical ideas about how we can proceed despite not receiving conventional funding, because there’s no way that the ONLY organisation in the world looking into and campaigning on behalf of adults ageing without children is going to give up!
Although we have lots of plans about how we can sustain ourselves as an organisation long term, these are going to take a couple of years to really get going so, for now, we need to introduce one of them straight away, and that’s a very basic form of membership payment. In order to make it affordable for most people, we’re asking for a minimum payment of £5 per month.
Your membership fees and other donations will enable us over the next 12 months and longer term to:
- Develop workshops and training that we can charge for;
- Work with our members to flesh out the membership model;
- Continue to build fruitful partnerships with other organisations; and
- Co-create commercial initiatives with private sector organisations.
Our costs as an organisation are extremely modest, only £5,000 per month, as almost everything the Board and others currently do for AWOC is done on an unpaid voluntary basis. However, without that minimum amount in the bank each month, it’s going to be very difficult indeed for AWOC to grow to match the pace that the issue and you, our members, expect. In fact, we’ll struggle to limp along and will have to cut back on many of things we already do.
Five ways can you help right now
- Set up a standing order for at least £5 per month or £60 per year: Ageing Without Children – 23063062 – 20-21-80
- Set up a reoccurring monthly PayPal payment of at least £5 per month or £60 per year DONATE HERE
- Make a one off donation via AWOC’s ‘Go Fund Me’ page ly/awoc-gofundme
- Make a one off donation either via PayPal or bank transfer
- Make a one off donation by cheque to ‘Ageing Without Children’ and post to Ageing without Children, NDTi, 1st Floor, 30-32 Westgate Buildings, Bath BA1 1EF
We estimate that if each of our supporters on Facebook, Twitter and out there in the community donated £5 per month we’d be able to get back to the business of growing AWOC at both a local and national level and be the voice that speaks up for and supports those 25% of adults ageing without children.
I know that funds are tight for many of us (us too!), but can you really afford NOT to support AWOC?!
Thank you in advance for making sure that our voice remains heard.
Kirsty Woodard (Founder) and the Board of AWOC